Brighton / Pontville

Petrol and Oil Restaurant, Licensed Restaurant or Hotel counter meals Refreshments Accommodation Liquor Supplies Public Toilets BBQ Picnic Area

View Location Map

DISTANCES: Hobart 27Km, Launceston 172Km

Located on the Midlands Highway, the adjoining towns of Brighton and Pontville were early 19th Century garrison towns and staging posts on the Hobart-Launceston main road. Brighton has always been an important military post - first established in October, 1826. The Brighton Army Camp was the main military post in Tasmania until it was sold by the Government to private enterprise.

A nearby wildlife park (off Briggs Road) features a wide variety of Tasmanian native animals in meticulously maintained surroundings.

Neighbouring Pontville township dates from 1830 and the St. Mark’s Church of England on the hill from 1840. This attractive church, designed by Blackburn, has an interesting cemetery. St. Matthew’s Catholic Church is also of this period. An important historic homestead is ‘Shene’, and the property now known as ‘Woodburn’ was once the ‘Old Crown Inn’. ‘Lythgows Row’ was originally an early barracks.

The towns offer both historic cottage and hotel/motel styles of accommodation.