North & North East

George Town, on the east side of the Tamar is the place where Lt Colonel William Paterson came ashore in 1804 with 180 convicts and soldiers to found the first settlement in northern Tasmania.

A few kilometres north of George Town, at the mouth of the Tamar River, lies Low Head, where the operating lighthouse gives panoramic views of the estuary, the North Coast and Bass Strait.

At the nearby pilot station a museum contains relics and memorabilia of George Town’s maritime heritage. The pilot station guides huge vessels from across the world to Bell Bay, one of the state’s busiest ports, about 14km south of George Town.

Travellers heading for Bridport from George Town or Launceston during late December and January will be well rewarded by a slight detour to the Bridestowe Lavender Farm. It is the only commercial lavender farm in the Southern Hemisphere and exports across the world.

The vineyards in the Pipers River region on the way to Bridport, make an interesting diversion for the traveller in search of fine food and wine.

Fifteen minutes drive from Bridport is Scottsdale, the service town for one of the richest agricultural districts in Tasmania.

Flinders Island, off the state’s north east tip is the largest of a group of more than 70 islands called the Furneaux group.

Flinders has a good selection of eating houses and accommodation places from hotel-style to self-catering cabins, beach houses, caravan parks and camping grounds.