View Location Map
DISTANCES: Hobart 14Km
Since its early inception Rokeby has been predominantly a rural settlement. However, expansion of the growing Clarence municipality as an urban area brought about a rapid change in the valley.
This settlement dates from 1809 and has a few historic buildings as well as one of the few village greens in Tasmania. ‘Rokeby house’ (1830), was extensively damaged in the 1967 bushfires. St Matthew’s Church (1843) is of great interest. The organ, brought from England in 1825 and first installed in St David’s Church (now St David’s Cathedral, Hobart) is still in use. Some of the carved chairs in the chapel are of timber from one of the ships in Nelson’s fleet. The famed ‘Bobby’ Knopwood, the first Church of England clergyman, is buried in the churchyard.
Follow the signs along the Old Rokeby Historic Trail around the original village.