Smithton

Petrol and Oil Restaurant, Licensed Restaurant or Hotel counter meals Refreshments Accommodation Liquor Supplies Public Toilets Boat Ramp BBQ Picnic Area Visitor Information

View Location Map

DISTANCES: Burnie 86Km, Devonport 135Km

Circular Head, of which Smithton is the administrative centre, was the first settlement of the far North West and was named by Bass and Flinders in 1798. Many rivers wind through vast hardwood and beech forests while the undulating country provides a pleasant variety of lush farmlands.

Smithton is a substantial township with the economy based on dairy farming, timber and aquaculture.

Vegetable production and the fishing industry are also of importance. Vital industries are dairy farming and a multi-million dollar potato processing plant. Smithton is a popular aquatic centre with considerable boating and fishing activity in the river and Duck Bay.

WHAT TO SEE AND DO

Stanley, views from Tier Hill and Milkshakes Forest Reserve, pre-booked coach tours to Woolnorth, Circular Head Heritage Centre, Lacrum, Dip Falls, aerial tour of islands from Smithton airport, scenic drive through South Arthur Forests, Allendale Gardens, Arthur River Cruises and Dismal Swamp.

RECREATION

9-hole golf course on Montagu Road, bowls facilities available, tennis, fishing in Duck River and estuary, heated swimming pool in town.