Stanley

Restaurant, Licensed Restaurant or Hotel counter meals Refreshments Accommodation Camping Area Caravan Park Liquor Supplies Youth Hostel Public Toilets Boat Ramp BBQ Picnic Area Staffed Tasmanian Visitor Information Centre

View Location Map

DISTANCES: Smithon 22Km, Burnie 78Km,
Devonport
127Km

CLASSIFIED HISTORIC TOWN

The Van Diemen’s Land Company, formed in London, was granted a charter in 1825 to cultivate lands and to rear well-bred flocks of sheep.

The company’s headquarters; ‘Highfield’ at Stanley, was completed in 1835 and is now partially restored and open for inspection. The company still has part shares in the property; ‘Woolnorth’ near Cape Grim on the north-western tip of Tasmania. Tours operate daily to Woolnorth as it is not open to the public.

The town has changed little since the early days and a number of old buildings, some of them restored and open for inspection, are of great interest. A former Prime Minister of Australia, the late Joseph Lyons, was born at Stanley in a cottage and open to the public near the Bay View Hotel. The former school house is now a private residence.

Stanley is well known for The Nut, originally named Circular Head by Bass and Flinders, a rock outcrop ‘the plug of an ancient volcano’ 150 metres high. This striking feature dominates the Coastal scenery for many kilometres. For many years, the only way to enjoy the magnificent views from the Nut was to climb the steep path. The introduction of a chairlift meant much easier viewing for everybody.

The old cemetery situated at the foot of the Nut is the last resting place for many well known pioneers and such illustrious names as Henry Hellyer, the noted explorer and surveyor and John Lee Archer, the famous architect and magistrate, are to be found on the old headstones.

The beaches are excellent and of some interest to shell collectors. Fishing in the area is good. Accommodation is readily available in holiday units, B&B’s, colonial accommodation, nearby host farms, a hotel, motels and caravan park and luxury waterfront boutique accommodation.

Tas Visitor Information Centre, 45 Main Road, Stanley. Phone (03) 6458 1330

Petrol is available at Stanley turnoff 6kms from township.

WHAT TO SEE AND DO

Stanley township generally, Discovery Centre, Union Hotel, Joseph Lyons Cottage, inspect restored Highfield headquarters, spectacular seascape and scenic drive around Green Hills past the Highfield property, climb the Nut track, walking access to the base opposite Post Office or take the chairlift, penguin and platypus tours, inspect the sea aquarium, tour through the art gallery or just wander through the many interesting shops.

There is a spectacular drive through Forest, Mengha, Alcomie, Nabageena, Trowutta and Edith Creek to Smithton, with panoramic views of the Circular Head district. Take the scenic drive through the Arthur Pieman Link Road and see some of the best Rain Forests in Australia, this is the only ‘wilderness that can be driven through’.

RECREATION

9-hole golf course close to town, tennis, fishing.